Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Technology at the Table



By Maureen C. Petrosky

Sunday night dinner at my mom’s is an informal affair where the siblings come if they can and no dress code is required. It’s casual, comforting, and always delicious. This past Sunday night my mom, known for being a straight shooter, nonchalantly asked, “So, what do you think of technology at the table?” I blushed as I put down my i-Phone, and was equally ashamed to see my brother scrolling through his and my sister- in-l aw with hers placed delicately next to her knife. Can we really not get through one meal without knowing the score, reading a text, or upping a bid?

I’m guilty all the way around. I find myself anxious and edgy if I’m not connected all the time. The phone has become a natural extension of my hand. Even as I write this I see how silly it seems to use the word connected. If we’re all staring at a screen we are definitely not connecting. If we were, Sunday night dinner could be conducted over SKYPE. Maybe we’d actually pay more attention. Individual phones have created some strange ripples in how we socialize. Many of my friends, even though married or in a relationship, still seem single to me. You see as more people skip the extra trouble and expense of landlines and choose to have their own phones, there’s no chance I will accidentally have to make small talk with their spouses, thus creating odd moments to actually connect when we get together in person. The cell phone isn’t something you answer for someone else, it’s private and with that comes serious social boundaries.

With the biggest dinner event of the year being next Thursday, I suggest you turn off the technology at least long enough to enjoy the turkey and mashed potatoes, as well as those you’ve chosen to share them with. If you’re wondering about last Sunday night’s dinner, don’t—everything came up roses anyway. With this gorgeous fall weather we were able to play in the leaves, kick around a soccer ball, and sip some rose. These pinks aren’t just for summer. In fact, they are perfect for swirling in fall when you’re not quite ready for big reds. Here’re two to try before or with your turkey.

Parallele 45 Rose, 2008, $12.99 This is a dry pink that’s perfect as an aperitif or alongside oven roasted turkey or pork loin. It’s full of cherries but has added interest with its minerality.

Castello Monaci Kreos Rosato, 2008, $12.99 I was tricked by the Kreos, thinking at first this was a rose from Greece. But I was not disappointed to find this little Italian pink was juicy, with a round body full of luscious juicy fruit.

*Taste these side by side to learn a little about how different pinks are from around the world.

No comments: