Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hard Work Pays Off


By Maureen C. Petrosky

I receive, on average, three phone calls/texts a week from family, friends, and colleagues who find themselves in a wine shop with a question. Last Friday night after exiting the movie theatre and turning my phone back on, the incessant buzzing erupted as if there was a true emergency. Upon retrieving messages I found not one, not two, but four messages in regard to the above-mentioned quandary. I am honored to be the “go to wine girl,” especially when those messages are coming from celebrity decorators, TV hosts, and members of a certain family whose compound you’re familiar with. To them I say- Sorry I missed your calls. I have no excuse other than I was watching Alvin and the Chipmunks-the Squeakquel.

Yes, your wine girl was taking the night off. It’s fun to take a break from the serious side of work and just kick back as if nothing matters but you and your popcorn. While I don’t highly recommend sitting through this particular film, I do recommend you take a time- out. I know many of you work 24-7, but the truth is you never know what’s going to happen tomorrow, so take time to stop and smell the rose wines today. With the new year comes promise of new adventures and new experiences. So don’t let another one pass you by. Take that road trip to the North Fork you’ve always thought about, or head to Napa for a long girls’ weekend. If you’re looking for adventure close to home, wine is just the thing. Splurge on something you normally wouldn’t at the wine shop, or next time you’re out to dinner, order a bottle from the Reserve or Library List. A Grand Cru may cost you upwards of $100 a bottle, but you get to taste luxury. Besides, what is it you’re working so hard for anyway? Go ahead, indulge. You deserve it.

One to Splurge on: Tenuta di Biserno, Il Pino, 2005, Tuscany, Italy, $65 This is what they call a Super Tuscan, an Italian wine that doesn’t follow the typical blending rules. In this case, they are using some Bordeaux varietals like Cabernet Sauvignon, Cab Franc, Merlot, and Petit Verdot.

This is like a giant mouthful of rubies and garnets. This is luxury in a glass. If I could I would wear this wine on the red carpet. Stunning, and suitable for when you feel like you could use a little pampering. This sip is all about balance. From first glance to the final sip she’s worth every penny, and will leave you feeling like a million bucks.

No comments: