Monday, February 2, 2009

Breakfast at the Blue Rooster


By Pat Tanner

In these, the statistically snowiest weeks of the year, my thoughts turn to breakfast; specifically, the warm, comforting, stick-to-the-ribs (and other interior regions) varieties. In truth, breakfast is my favorite meal year round, and I happily eat breakfast foods any time of day.

So it’s no wonder I have fallen head-over-heels for Cranbury’s Blue Rooster Bakery & Café, which opened last fall in a pretty Victorian house on Main Street in that quaint old town. Owners Karen and Bob Finigan say their bakery/café/gourmet take-out shop was inspired by those in Ireland, where they lived for several years. The “Rooster” serves breakfast, lunch, and afternoon tea in two sunny, beautifully appointed dining rooms.

On my first visit I was immediately drawn to the hot cereals - oatmeal, porridge, and Vermont multigrain - served with warm milk, brown sugar or honey, and raisins or dried cranberries. But then I spotted the full Irish breakfast – authentic in its eggs, bacon, breakfast sausage, tomato, beans, toast, and white and black pudding. (If you have to ask, you probably won’t want it). I couldn’t make up my mind so am mildly embarrassed to confess I had both porridge and the full Irish deal. Plus I took home a sticky bun.

Breakfast is served seven days a week. The menu encompasses eggs done every which way; French toast; pancakes; fruit salad, parfait, and smoothies; and assorted pastries, including scones and brioche. And there are daily specials, which lure me in like a (very cold) moth to a (very warm) flame.

BLUE ROOSTER BAKERY & CAFÉ, Cranbury, blueroosterbakery.com

Two other personal faves for breakfast fare:
Link
THE FLAKY TART, Atlantic Highlands (see my food blog of March 14, 2008)
ANTHONY DAVID’S, Hoboken, anthonydavids.com

No comments: