Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Don’t Forget Chablis


By Maureen C. Petrosky

Last Friday night, my husband and I made our way to the symphony at Lincoln Center, but not before stopping in Bar Boulud, Daniel Boulud’s newest notch. Praised for a stellar wine list and delectable French fare, I was super excited to indulge. In an instant that feeling fizzled as the leather-bound book of wine was gently placed in my hands. I couldn’t help but think, if you have a friend who loves to cook, do you always insist they make you dinner? Or perhaps a food lover is among your inner circle. Do you always ask them to order your meal? The point is, even if I am a sommelier, we all like to take a night off once in a while.

I motioned to the sommelier actually being paid for that evening, and asked him make the choice for us. I felt a rush of excitement and was anxious to taste the mystery wine. In a fabulous accent, he presented a beautiful bottle, one that had not even crossed my mind, a Premier Cru Chablis. We were both delighted and sipped and swirled with ease. The pressure was off. My advice is to use the sommelier and let your wine-loving friends off the hook once in a while. There’s a good chance you’ll all be steered to something new and fabulous.

Michael Madrigale’s (Bar Boulud’s Sommelier) Pick- 2006 Chablis Premier Cru, Montée de Tonnerre, Domaine Vocoret (retail $30- at Bar Boulud $85)
This Chablis was flinty, so if you’re unsure of that descriptor pick up a bottle of this for a lively lesson. It was incredibly seductive from the very first sip. I loved that the body of this wine caressed the palate and was punctuated with the perfect pop of acidity. It worked with everything from oysters and octopus to pate and pickled onions. A fabulous French fling all the way around the glass!

No comments: