Thursday, May 28, 2009

This 'ol Barbeque



By Judith Garfield

It should come as no surprise that I did not do any barbequing this past Memorial Day.

I hate to cook outside as much as I hate to cook inside.

S. takes over when company comes. He is a barbeque purist. Only wood will do. He loves to grill. Anything, anytime, anywhere. A real grill seeker. He has his secret recipes and does not like sharing them, so don’t bother asking. However, the Loveless Cook has her ways. I have learned that for his chicken breasts on the grill, which always get rave reviews, he likes to brush them with a mixture of Dijon mustard and oil. Then he pounds them with a mallet so they lie flatter and cook more evenly The last five minutes of cooking he sprinkles seasoned bread crumbs on both sides. Crisp and moist, and quite delicious.

We have a very old stone barbeque pit that I believe George Washington and his soldiers might have used for a quick burger stop before they headed to the Delaware. He has written about attending a ‘barbicue’ in Virginia in 1769. Who knew? Father of our country….first in war, first in peace, first in…..barbeque.

My responsibility is to entertain the troops and keep them occupied while the grill sergeant rustles up the grub. I always make sure there is plenty to drink, and lots of chip and dip. The food is never quite ready when it should be, so I always have some activities lined up. The sillier the better. Did I mention there is always plenty to drink?

Last weekend we had fun with this.

Everyone must answer the following questions. What is your….

1. Rock Star Name (first pet and street where you grew up)
Heidi Tulpehocken

2. Gangsta Name (fave ice cream, fave cookie)
Mint Chip Milano

3. Star War Name (first three letters of your last name, first two letters of your first
GarJu

4. Hippie Name (what you ate for breakfast, fave tree)
Waffle Dogwood

5. Detective Name (fave color, fave animal)
Blue Dog

Feel free to share any others you think might entertain the hungry and slightly intoxicated. July is almost here.

May the fourth be with you, GarJu

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your party sounds like fun, GarJu. The game is a great way to pass the time on a long car trip. My star wars name is pretty cute ----JacLy. I think I might just go by that from now on.

Anonymous said...

Loveless cook:

Your lack of love for cooking makes for great entertainment! What a great game. I always wanted to be a gangsta. But my rock star name is much cooler: "Woolfy Church." I don't think a gangsta with the name "orange sherbert nuterbutter" would garner much respect.

Anonymous said...

you need to come up w/ a game that includes the word verification words that must be entered in order for one to enter a comment. they're almost always amusing. & wouldn't you like to know what my word was? i'm not telling! naughty!

Anonymous said...

Granola Magnolia is mine - can't get much hippier than that! Freebird?

Anonymous said...

The answers to your questions:
Gigi 22
Mocha Fortune
Gotal
Eggnone
Blue Wolf
By the way, the grill is terrific but I'd rather gaze at Loveless. See you next time.

Anonymous said...

this apple didn't fall too far from the barbeque pit. love your posts, LC!

Anonymous said...

I, GarKa, have greatly enjoyed your post. I have learned a new, fun Earth game and seen how the mysterious S. prepares his chicken meat. I am ready to experience the months in which the temperature is high. Thank you GarJu.